Tuesday, October 28, 2008

D

D is for many things. To quote a few, borrowing fron Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series, D is for Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Dispair, and Delirium. Not forgetting the gorgeous, D is for Dennis too. Over the last weekend, D was for Deepavali.

There are a few items which I want to blog about. Let's do it chronologically, starting on last Thursday's religion-study lecture.

ITEM 1
The topic for discussion for last Thursday's lecture was Buddhism. During the lecture, it occurred to me that mathematically speaking, it is wiser to embrace an Abrahamic faith. I do not mean to offend anyone with the statement; allow me to explain.

Samsara, the belief in the cyclic nature of life is central to South Indian faiths like Buddhism and Hinduism. If one fails to attain enlightenment within this lifetime, the individual is reincarnated into another higher or lesser form depending on one's karma. Then, in the next life, one can continue to strive toward enlightenment and escape from the cycle of life.

However, the Abrahamic faiths - Judaism, Christianity, Islam - believe in a linear progression of life. This life is the only shot one has got, and the afterlife is dependent on the present. Eternal damnation awaits those who fail.

So, disregarding all experiences in our present lives and only taking into account our afterlives, it is mathematically wiser to embrace an Abrahamic faith. We'll get another chance if we die a non-Hindu or non-Buddhist anyway?

Just my random thought. I'm opened to disagreements.

ITEM 2
I was disturbed by how the individual can be easily swayed by social norms. I'm no exception. During my psychology tutorial on Thursday evening, we discussed about The Milgram Experiment. The conclusion of the experiment was this - we are extremely willing to go to almost any lengths on the command of an authority. (Even when the morality of the authority is definitely questionable.)

That sorta of linked up with my religion-study lecture on Thursday morning, where we talked about religious leaders perverting the notion of Jihad to their own political ambitions. It also explained Arjuna's fulfilment of his dharma in the Bhagavad Gita.

I'm disturbed. Don't we have a brain of our own?! %*^&$

ITEM 3
Moving on to a lighter topic, Arthur and I met up on Friday afternoon. It's been quite a while since we last met each other. Perhaps 3 weeks or a month, probably due to my numerous essay submissions and his end-of-year markings.

Anyway, as usual, shopping with him around = good deals. I bought Sandman Vol.5 at a ridiculous price of $18 only, because he had the Border's 35% vouchers. The usual price would come up to about at least $30.

Also, he enlightened me on the issue with the French Declaration of Human Rights. Check out my previous entries to read more about it. Here's his explanation on why should the rich pay more taxes than the poor since both are offered equal services by the civil services.

Our society is inheretly discriminatory against the poor. If we impose a flat rate of taxes on all our citizens, we complicate this discrimination further and bring it up a notch. To demonstrate this, Arthur quoted me an example: Why is the road sweeper's pay lesser than that of a lawyer's? How can one be sure that the lawyer's work is more difficult than a road sweeper's? With the social stigma attached to the sweeper, his work might very well be more challenging than the laywer's. How then, can one explain why the sweeper receives lesser wages?

ITEM 4
We celebrated Founder's Day on Saturday. Congratulations to Clement, Ricky and Boon Hwee who were promoted to the next rank. Mr. Chin reminded us the need to put our hearts where it matters most. I guess that will be love and truth, for they are what ultimately matters. But, supposed-to-be and reality seldom coincide. It'll take a lifetime to align the two. Anyway, here are some pictures...

The Opening Parade.

My Squad - Philemon.

The Company.


ITEM 5
We had Holy Communion on Sunday. After that, we had our officers' cell and a BBQ fellowship at Lakeshore Condominium. Thank you goes to Mdm Shirley for opening up her home to us. Here are the pictures:

That's me acting cute.

From left, Jun Chong, the gorgeous, Gary and Captain.

And the almost non-existent food.


ITEM 6
Mr Chin and I studied at Anchor Point on Monday. I managed to read 1.5 chapters of Statistics and 2 political science readings (which I barely understood). Feeling accomplished, we went home for dinner. :D

Next biggie coming up should be Ming Hoe's birthday. Till then... Tata!

No comments: