The National Assembly of France approved the DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF MAN on 26 August 1789.
I read through the declaration agreeing with most rights until I reached number 13. The 13th right of man goes like this:
A common contribution is essential for the maintenance of the public forces and for the cost of administration. This should be equitably distributed among all the citizens in proportion to their means.
The thing that struck me was the last line - in proportion to their means. Why should this be so? Are not all man equal? Why should the rich be discriminated against based on their wealth?
Apart from the moral obligation to help the poor who are trapped in a vicious cycle of poverty, I don't see any other reasons why should the poor pay less tax. I mean, there are many reasons why someone is poor - perhaps his/her own apathy might very well be a cause.
Okay. I know this is a radical idea, perhaps even an unChristian-ish one. But I'm still curious why...
No comments:
Post a Comment