Daniel was from a senior batch of medics and he ran the registration counter. He's currently working as a private nurse. Coincidentally (or not), he was the personal nurse who served Mr. Tan Hoay Gie, Honorary Vice President of The Boys' Brigade in Singapore, unto his deathbed. What a small world! Dazmond and I were trained together at SMTI and we entered SBMC together. He took over Daniel and Ken at the registration counter. He's currently a full-time student doing accountings.
Shiu Hei's my understudy. Treatment Room was the place where we spent most time together, drawing blood, collection stool samples, cleaning up wounds, pulling out toe nails... He thanked me for preparing a huge box of gauze for him before I ORDed. Apparently, I wrapped so many during my last days in the medical centre (due to boredom), he hasn't finished using them yet. Ha! Happy ORD in April!
Chin Chong is the navy medic who took over from Dazmond to become the IC of the registration counter. I remember enjoying my overnight duties with him, and when he shared about his secondary school friends. ORD LOH~ Zhen Liang was a MOPA. In a week's time, he's going to fly overseas to pursue his medical degree and become a MO himself! All the best!
From left, Zhen Liang, Chin Chong, Dazmond, Daniel, the gorgeous and Shiu Hei.
These are some pictures of the food we had. I didn't stuff myself because I don't believe in 'paying to torture myself'.
Satisfied by the fellowship and the sumptuous dinner, we walked to Plaza Singapura to catch a movie. Armed with the SAFRA card which gives a discount of $1.50 per ticket, the army boys bought tickets for the rest of us. We caught Jack Neo's latest movie - Love Matters.
*WARNING! This section contains materials which may be unsuitable for children under 16. Please discontinue if you're underage, or read alongside your parent.

Love Matters is a movie about sex. Henry Thia and Yeo Yann Yann played the role of a middle-aged couple who were married for a long time and the passion in their sex life had slipped away. Alex Leong played the role of their son, who was exposed to today's technology - the Internet, camera handphone - and all the vices that come along with them. Jack Lim played as Henry Thia's godbrother. He was a pornographic addict and enjoyed meeting potential lifemates online.
In my opinion, the movie was vulgar and most jokes were distasteful, to say the least. I'm sure Jack Neo could do better than to use a piece of hotdog and two fishballs as an allegory for the male sex organs. The non-coherent storyline (perhaps even non-existent) was annoying and the supposedly sad scenes sent me nodding off. However, I must say that the movie wasn't all bad.
I liked how Jack Neo made a point about life without slapping it straight in our faces. An example would be this: In one of the scenes, Henry Thia's god-brother was crushed by his bookshelf and couldn't pull himself out because of the overwhelming weight. He was helpless, apart from his weak cries for help. I thought it was a really clever way of subtly implying that pornography and obsession with sex would one day catch up with those who dabble with them and drown them.
The notion that males demonstrate our love through physical means like sex while females demonstrate their affections with more emotions was played out really well between Henry Thia and Yeo Yann Yann. They loved each other deeply, but exhibited it in different ways. (There is a psychological theory that explains this phenomenon. But let's not get into that...)
Well, coincidentally (or not), Arthur and I talked about sex too during our meet-up yesterday. We met up to do our part as responsible citizens of Singapore - boosting our economy by making purchases during the post-CNY sales. Haha! I'm not sure if this was the verse that Arthur was referring to, but I guess Saint Paul of Tarsus was talking about sex. If you need to have sex, get married...
1 Corinthians 7:36
If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married.
However, I think I should also mention that we, who live in current times, are dealt with a hand of lousy cards when it comes to the issue marriage and procreation. Biologically speaking, we mature with the onset of puberty from the age of 12-16. However, in terms of economical means and other social norms, we are only perceived to be ready for marriage after the age of 25. Almost 10 years of abstinence isn't an easy option for young individuals with hormones pumping them crazy. But it isn't about what cards we receive, but how we play them eh?
No comments:
Post a Comment