Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Evolution? I don't have enough faith...

I happened to chance on SH's blog which featured an entry regarding intelligent design. My friend is persuaded by natural selection, and believes that it takes significant leaps of faith to believe in ID.

ID is a theory which holds that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection."

Coincidentally or not, I remarked about my disbelief in the big bang model while studying with SH yesterday. Thankfully, his entry was posted on Sunday, not published as an angry reply to my comment.

While I fully agree that ID is a pseudo-science, allow me to defend my beliefs. I would argue that believing in the theory of evolution requires more faith than believing in the theory of ID. Let's quote humanity as an example.

We have 23 pairs of chromosomes, and each chromosome can carry 10,000 to 1,000,000,000 nucleotides. We all know that any slight change to our genetic make-up can result in disastrous phenotypes. Just look at down's syndrome kids.

I marvel at the amount of faith it takes to believe that 46,000,000,000 nucleotides came to arrange themselves in a specific order, through a big bang and numerous random mutations. What are the chances of that happening? Note that I have already taken a leap of faith, trusting that the complex nucleotide molecules shown below can be formed by random chance.


While natural selection sounds plausible and logical, I'd rather side with the existence of an Intelligent Designer. Perhaps it's an alien from a galaxy lightyears away, or perhaps, He's God.

No comments: