Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Updates

Just some random updates about school...

1. I've received my first A for this semester! YAY! My Southeast Asian Studies essay on Colonialism was returned during the tutorial today. I argued that Southeast Asian natives (i.e. you and me) are children of colonialism, and used Raden Ajeng Kartini as the case study. Her perception of the nation, assumption of white supremacy, distrust in religion, and Eurocentric view of life were evidences of Western indoctrination, or European influence to say the least.

Luther the movie played a role in this essay too. I argued that Kartini's distrust in religion originated from the Protestant Reformation during the 16th century. (Why did I say the 15th century in my previous post?! Now you really know the reason why I got B- for my history module. It is the 16th century. Confirmed!) Anyway, thank God for the A~ =)

2. I've been offered to go for exchange with the University of California, Riverside by the Student Exchange Programme in NUS. However, reading from their website and wiki's description, it doesn't sound like a really pleasant place to go to. It is described as the "campus of choice" for minority students, including LGBT students, and the third most ethnically diverse. Also, my cousin has warned me about safety issues in Southern California. Looks like I'm going to reject it...

No comments: