Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Using Death to Sell Marriage

"Funeral" is a new TV commercial launched by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) which looks at relationships in a different light, through a woman at her husband's funeral.

Ultimately, this commercial celebrates the beautiful imperfections that make a relationship perfect. This is fresh off MCYS latest Viewers' Choice 2008 win for last year's Family TVC which promotes the importance and value of family bonding.



I've been reading about interpersonal attraction and close relationships for my social psychology. Social exchange theory predicts that we would not continue with our relationships if the costs outweigh the rewards. But this video makes the costs of having a relationship (e.g. putting up with your husband's snoring and farting...) sound like rewards of a relationship. Perhaps I've blurred the line between costs and sacrifices.

Anyway, I think this commercial is brillant!

No comments: