Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On Being Attached

There comes a point in time when one seriously considers the possibility of getting attached on a long term basis. One friend of mine spent hours on the phone trying to convince her boyfriend that it is safe to travel in Berlin; another dreaded hearing his 'bugging' girlfriend calling on msn and tried hard to stay away from the computer; and yet another was tearing her hair out because she fell in love with someone living halfway around the globe.

I'm not adverse to being in a relationship, but I honestly think that the costs outweigh the rewards. Perhaps, to begin with, it is not right to frame or conceptualize relationships in this manner.

The costs of being in a relationship include spending additional resources like time, energy and money on someone else, the emotional roller coaster ride which can be both thrilling and depressing, and the accountability and commitment to one's partner.

Henry challenged me to get myself attached before summer break. I think I'd rather choose to lose this bet. Not because I'm unwanted, but because I do not want.

No comments: