Sunday, March 27, 2011

Come To The Water

John 4:15-20
'Sir,' said the woman, 'give me some of that water, so that I may never be thirsty or come here again to draw water.' 'Go and call your husband,' said Jesus to her, 'and come back here.' The woman answered, 'I have no husband.' Jesus said to her, 'You are right to say, "I have no husband"; for although you have had five, the one you now have is not your husband. You spoke the truth there.' 'I see you are a prophet, sir,' said the woman. 'Our fathers worshipped on this mountain, though you say that Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.'


The woman felt Our Lord was "meddling." He was probing into her morals and behaviour and implying that she could not receive His gift because of the way she lived. She then did what millions of people have done ever since when religion demands a reformation in their conduct: she changed the subject. She was willing to make religion a matter of discussion, but she did not want to make it a matter of decision. Our Blessed Lord brought the discussion around to the moral order, namely, the way she had conducted herself personally before God and her conscience. To avoid the moral problem, she first tried flattery, then introduced a speculative problem. She dropped the subject of religion down to the purely intellectual plane, in order that it might not affect her morally. The woman made a wild attempt to get off the hook. She tried to pull a red herring across the road by bringing up the old religious squabble.
- Wrote Fulton Sheen in Life of Christ.




Refrain

Come to the water, you who are thirsty
Though you have nothing I bid you come
And be filled with the goodness I have to offer
Come, listen, live.

Why spend your money on what cannot fill
The emptiness deep in your heart
Listen to my word and you will enjoy
Goodness and peace in your heart.

Just as the heavens are high above earth
My ways and thoughts beyond you
Call me your father and know I am near
I will be Father to you.

Just as the rain falls to water the earth
Just as the seed becomes bread
My word upon you can never return
Until my longing is filled.

No comments: