Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dear 40-year-old me,

Hello! Here's the 24 year old you trying to do some reflection, and setting out boundaries to define what makes Dennis, Dennis.

One. If you're reading this, that means you're alive and kicking. Take a moment to thank God for that now!

Secondly, if you are reading this from the Netherlands, congratulations. You have managed to charm a Dutch citizen into marriage. I hope you like the Netherlands as much as I do now. In the (unfortunate) event that you're still residing in Singapore, you should at least have your own apartment by now.

Thirdly, you should have completed a post graduate course in the field of religious studies. I hope you have come to know Hashem better through the process, and also found the key to interpreting Scripture. These questions perplex me.

Four. I hope you're happy doing what you're doing. Some fields are more intrinsically motivating that others. Remember how the study of religions keep you up at night. If you aren't happy, don't be afraid to disappoint people. You have one lifetime.

(Number five is too private for this blog.)

Six. If you haven't found a soul mate to spend the rest of your life with. It's time to activate Plan B. Move in with XXXXXXX now.

Seven. Are you attending church? Christianity defines you.

Eight. How's Daddy and Mummy doing? How about Yong?

Nine. Don't forget about your five circles of friends. Meet up with them soon if they aren't dead. Talk to them if they are. You're catholic, remember?

Ten. You'd better be swimming on a regular basis. If you have picked up a new sport, I'm proud of you.

Oh and if time travel is possible in 16 years time, do drop by on 8 June 2011 at 3pm to say hi. I'll be home alone.

Regards,
The 24-year-old you.

No comments: