Friday, July 1, 2011

Transformers - Dark of the Moon

Caught the latest Transformer movie with Calvin and Marcus at Illuma this afternoon. Wasn't too impressed by it actually. Stop reading if you are going to catch the movie for yourself. Spoilers ahead.


The film-makers tried to bring the battle scenes to an epic level like the ones in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End by introducing majestic non-diegetic music from a full orchestra. But I couldn't feel a thing because the fights were between the human foot soldiers and Decepticon minions! I couldn't sense any affinity with them; their deaths or otherwise meant little to me. Things would have been different if the Autobots were the ones doing battle.

That brings me to my next point. The Autobots were given too little screen time. We had no idea what Optimus, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet and their gang were doing, while the humans were running around. Apart from appearing right in time to catch Shia LaBeouf from a falling building, of course.

I went for the movie feeling rather happy, but came out with slightly dampened moods. There was just too much frustration and feelings of incompetence. From Shia LaBeouf's uncertainty about his future, to the betrayal by Sentinel Prime, the film seemed to exude too much negative energy.

Finally, the characters could have been more developed. Patrick Demsey's character seemed to be a Lord-Cutler-Beckett-wannabe. But it failed terribly of course.

Oh well, having said all that, I must confess that the paternalistic themes came out pretty strongly. I'm not sure if it is because I just read the Parable of the Prodigal Son. But the destruction of Chicago after humanity chased the Autobots out of the earth reminded me about our relation with God.

Baah. Go watch the movie if you have 2 hours 30 minutes to spare.

No comments: