I've always thought that Milady de Winter was renown for her dangerous beauty and her wit. In an aristocratic manner, of course. Paul Anderson's decision to portray her as an agile, matrix-like, bullet-dodging, lock-breaking thief was a rather big turn off for me. The serious lack of depth in character development and its half-baked script didn't impress me too. I hated how mild Cardinal Richelieu turned out, how superficial and kiddish King Louis XIII and Queen Anne were, and how ridiculous the Duke of Buckingham was.
Having said all that, I must admit that I was floored by the set. From the scene in Venice, to the interior of the Versailles, to the landing on Notre Dame de Paris, the set construction was well done. I'm pretty glad I caught this film on the big screen for the whole experience of immersion, of seemingly revisiting these places, would have been much diluted on my laptop screen.
All in all, I enjoyed the experience. It made me want to pick up Alexandre Dumas' book for a reread. Many thanks to Jason, once again, for your company.

No comments:
Post a Comment