Thursday, April 26, 2012

Who do you say I am?


Every relationship comes to a point when definitions become important. The point when decisions are necessary. To take a step into the next level of intimacy, devotion and love. Or not? After 15 chapters of getting to know this person Jesus in the book of Matthew, He asks, "Who do people say I am?" And then more importantly,

"But what about you? Who do you say I am?"

But why are definitions important? I guess they clarify. They help us interpret our words and actions in light of who we are. Or half the time, we find ourselves guessing and wondering why we say what we say or do what we do.

But words and actions do no suffice, do they? Talk is cheap they say. One can say anything he wants. Actions? Not as cheap I suppose. But actions are meaningless if they are but acts of compliance only. For if one acts out of fear of wrath from the other party only, then actions will cease when the threat of punishment is removed. What good is a relationship full of fear, angst and threats?

So what is it that matters most? The heart I would say. Here's something which everyone seem to have an idea about, and yet no one can give a good definition to. The heart. How does one explain it? If the heart of a man is in the right place, then his words and actions, his thoughts and emotions, his very being, will be directed at that which his heart beats for.

Where O Dennis is thy heart? Where O Dennis is thy treasure? For where my treasure is, there my heart will be also. As with many other things in life, I'd rather wait and give the right answer, than hasten and get a wrong one. So who are you to me? I think I'm not decided. Perhaps inaction is in itself action. Perhaps not. Pray I won't run out of time to decide.

No comments: