Saturday, December 1, 2012

Teaching.

I've been praying, thinking, and asking if I should be a teacher. The hours are long, the work is tough, and the fruits of my labour may not be so easily seen. I've bee wondering if this is what I really want to be.

Thank God for Kaysiong. For the passion and love he demonstrates for his craft. It rubs off on me. Yes, I get jealous at times. Jealous cos we don't have enough time together. Jealous cos I can't seem to find such a fire that burns inside. His life has reminded me of the intrinsic joys and sense of fulfillment from giving my life away. I want to give my life for a cause that outlasts my lifetime. To leave a lasting impact. And I think this career gives me the opportunity to do so. But whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. I want to find it!

Thank God for the dinner with Jerome and Xiaoying too. I became interested in teaching when I was a Secondary School kid. I remember wanting to grow up to be a teacher who cares. As students, Xiaoying and I concurred that we preferred teachers who genuinely cared for us, even if they couldn't teach their subjects. We were totally sold to those who loved us, exceedingly loyal to those who cared. And those were the teachers who left lasting impressions in us and changed our lives for the better. Jerome works for Care Singapore today and works with students after curriculum hours. Xiaoying has been applying to be a teacher too. I have been given the opportunity, the privilege, to join the ranks of those who minister to the young. I should not doubt, but perform to the best of my abilities.

So whatever the future holds, whatever tomorrow brings, here I stand. I can do no other. My life as a teacher begins. This is my life. This is life.

No comments: