Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Canoeing

Ming Hoe and I participated in the East Coast Park canoeing expedition organised by the NUS canoeing club yesterday. After making a few wrong turns at Bedok, I picked Soon Huat (Ming Hoe's classmate) and Ming Hoe up at Bedok MRT station.

Thank God for the slight drizzle and cooling weather in the morning. Although I'd love to be tugged in bed for longer hours of slumber, I'm glad that we were not baked under an unmerciful sun.

Ming Hoe and Soon Huat conveniently 'pang seh-ed' me when it came to choosing our partners for the double canoe. But it proved to be a better deal in disguise! Meet Jonathan, an ex-48th BB Boy, a SP star receipent. He currently serves as a helper in his company and was previously from NYJC canoeing club, which meant that he is very fit. That means less paddling for me!

We played the favourite game of the 28th Coy, Capstan Ball, on our canoes. I managed to score once too! All thanks to Jonathan's strong and skillful maneuvers behind my back. Soon Guan and Ming Hoe, as expected, played the slack role of a captain. Haha! The capsize experience and the really draining T-rescue was rather fun too. Jonathan and I had sprinting competitions with Marcus, a canoe committee member, too. Marcus' shunpo levels proved too high for the both of us put together...

Oh! My sandal straps broke during the expedition too!! I was secretly rejoicing in my heart because that would give me a legitimate reason to purchase the 'gay' sandals that I've been eyeing at New Urban Male. (Mr Chin called Kok Yong's sandals 'gay' last Saturday during our LDC1 camp.) Although I'm not deny the fact that NUM is aimed at the pink dollar, I thought Kok Yong's sandals looked fantastic!

It was a good experience to be in the sea. The last time I did this was probably 4-5 years back, when the BB had camps at the BB/GB Sembawang Campsite. I particular enjoyed the choppy waves, the beautiful sun over the horizon, and the salty sea breeze.

Just before we returned to shore, we were hit by a sudden downpour. Jonathan and I started paddling crazily after we realised that the apartment blocks 'disappeared' behind a huge fog of rain. Visibility was reduced to nearly zero because we were against the wind. It brought to my mind a song I learnt during the KL trip. Thank Him-who-once-walked-on-the-water for the protection. (cf. Matthew 14:22-36)

He's the Lord of the sunshine;
The Lord of the rain.
He's the Lord of the good times;
The Lord of the pain.
He's the Lord of the mountains;
The Lord of the seas.
He's the Lord of the music;
The Lord of the children,
The Lord of you and me.

No comments: