Tuesday, January 13, 2009

XD2101 - Approaches to the Study of Religion

Dr Julius challenged our definitions of 'religion' yesterday evening. Is it some sort of collective euphoria experienced by the faithful? Or perhaps it's a feeling of personal bliss. How about a social/cultural identity people hide behind? Some thought that it is a basis for capital accumulation or a symptom of our collective mental illness or a sinister ideology to keep people in power. Haha. What is religion?

The essay questions that would determine 35% of my grade for XD2101. We all love juicy essay questions, don't we?

1) “Religion is inherently divisive and leads to conflict.” Do you agree? Assess this issue using a specific example and/or case study of religious conflict in the world today.

2) Are ‘free thinkers’ better suited to studying religion than the devout believer? Assess the relevance of atheism in the academic study of religion.

3) “Being religious is incompatible with environmentalism.” Do you agree? Discuss this issue by evaluating a particular environmental issue in our world today.

On a side note, two nights ago, I felt the sensation of paralysis during sleep. Actually, I was wide awake mentally, but any attempts to move my limbs were futile. For a moment, I thought that the light in me was going to be snuffed out, I panicked and prayed it away. Was it due to exhaustion from the 5km run in the morning? Or was it some paranormal experience? I've got no idea.

Anyway, to quote Jack Sparrow from The Pirates of Caribbean: At World's End, "Death has a way of reshuffling one's priorities." Mine wasn't so much of a reshuffling, but the sense of urgency to start abiding by them.

No comments: