John 12:1-8
Jesus Anointed at Bethany
Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
"Leave her alone," Jesus replied. "It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."
This passage came to my mind when I read the straits times forum thread about New Creation Church collecting SGD19 million a new building. Many feel that the money should be channelled to the poor, instead of being spent on the extravagant building. Others are awed by how quickly they collected such a big sum of money.
I haven't come to a satisfactory opinion of my own. I'm still thinking about it. No doubt the money was collected for Christ's glory. Yet Jesus has also taught and emphasised the need to look after the poor and the widowed in society. Which takes precedence over the other? Or perhaps, they are not mutually exclusive. What do you think?
(*Just to clarify my intentions for probing into this issue. I ask these questions for two reasons. Firstly, I'm currently raising funds for the Boys' Brigade. We call it the BB Week. One of my relatives casually asked me, "Why does the Church sponsor the BB? Why doesn't it channel the funds to the poor?" That got me thinking. Secondly, my church, Jurong Christian Church, is also currently raising funds for a new church building in the future. I believe the answers I get from these questions will be relevant to me personally. It is definitely not my intention to pass judgments on any churches. I apologise if I sounded rude by my inappropriate words.)
No comments:
Post a Comment