Sunday, October 24, 2010

O Death

It began with the passing of Uncle Yew Moi's mother. Then Ken's father passed away in Vietnam. And I have just learnt from Ming Hoe that Wei Wu's father passed away in Shanghai while visiting him during SEP. Sighs.


I was looking at the photographs I took in Rotterdam when I saw this piece of art. The martyrdom of Saint Simon the Zealot and Saint Judas Thaddeus. It suddenly dawned upon me that church tradition holds that eleven out of twelve apostles were martyred. Eleven of the twelve! They are arguably the people who were closest to Jesus. I asked myself, "What was I thinking? What on earth have I signed myself up for?"

Sighs. The problem of pain/evil/death eludes and troubles me. Why did it rain unceasingly during Ken's father's funeral in spite of his mother's cries? How can a GOD so good and loving allow eleven of His twelve BFFs to die terrible deaths? And I am not even started on natural disasters and genocides...

"O death? Where is thy sti---OUCH!!!"

No comments: