Tuesday, November 15, 2011

13 November 2011

These words will probably not do justice to 13 November 2011. Nonetheless, I will try my best to capture at least a short glimpse, a fleeting shadow, or a clouded reflection of that day.

Jerome and I shared a cab to the Church of the Holy Cross and arrived an hour before mass was scheduled to start. We spent some time in the cenacle after registration before heading to the main church.

Mass began with the solemn hymn 'Veni, Sancte Spiritus'. All clad in white, Father Richards Ambrose and his altar Boys entered the church, genuflected and took their places.

Sensually overwhelming. That's how I would describe the mass. The sight of excited elects filled with optimism of new life, awaiting baptism. The words spoken by Father Richards. The sound of the outpouring of water, the cries of babes in the arms of their parents and the incessant clicks from cameras. The fragrant scent of chrism oil smeared on my forehead. The weight of Jerome's hand on my shoulder. The sweet partaking of first communion.

It is perhaps no coincidence that the Parable of the Talents was selected as the Gospel text. In his homily, Father Richards exhorted the congregation to remember that the rite of initiation is no misnomer. A beginning of a long and most likely arduous journey. Having read the Gospel text to us, he sent us off on our journey with four points to remember. To not compare our gifts and talents with others for everyone is blessed differently. To work hard to win souls for God by loving our neighbours as ourselves. To remember that relative outcomes do not matter for God rewarded the servants who gained ten and five talents similarly.

I will not forget. When I stood beside Jerome telling him that I'll laugh at him before helping him up should he trip and fall along our way down the aisle. He assured me that as proxy-godpa he would help me up before laughing at me, and that he has trotted down this very aisle more than once.

I will not forget. Telling Jerome to be careful with the baptismal candle for I was wearing a highly flammable baptismal robe. "Why do you tell me such things? You're giving me ideas."

I will not forget. The embrace. "Peace be with you."

I will not forget 13 November 2011. The day I dare call myself catholic.

No comments: