Dear Jerome,
You asked for the story. The story about my journey to Catholicism. In the letter that you have painstakingly written by hand, you mentioned that my decision to attend RCIA, my recent reception, confirmation, and first communion came as a surprise and an exhilarating experience for you. Yes. Upon reflection, it is truly amazing to see how our relationship with the Church evolved from petty bickering about controversial issues during our school days to the state of affairs today.
The story's less amazing from my perspective. Like I've mentioned over coffee and tea at Starbucks, my first encounter with the Catholic Church can be traced to my time in the Netherlands. However, it is worth mentioning that my encounter with the Christian faith predates that. The Boys' Brigade introduced the faith to me and I grew up in a Lutheran church. Coming from a Lutheran church helped me understand and practice the Christian faith as a young adult, and it also allowed me to pick up the order of the mass quickly.
My time at St Augustine's Church exposed me to how structured the Catholic church is. I was less dependent on the individual preacher to faithfully break the Word for me. The structured lectionary gave me more confidence that what I hear from church is truly from God above.
Like I said earlier, the experience of going through RCIA has been one of much ambivalence and uncertainty for me. It's been a year of transition, of questioning myself if my decision's been the right one. Till this day, I dare not say with full certainty that I've made the right choice. There are issues about the Catholic Church, valid issues, brought up by some concerned protestant relatives and friends of mine. Pray for me. That I'll continue to pray, read, and learn about these issues, that I may be able to find reasonable resolutions to them, and be able to provide a clear defense for the faith we profess and the practices we have.
I have always thought that being Catholic is a decision I need to make everyday, and didn't make much about the reception, confirmation and first communion. Having received these outward signs of inward grace, I am glad I've made the decision to make this public declaration of my faith. I feel so much more at ease now. Perhaps its because the decision's been made. Perhaps its because of the working of the Holy Spirit. Perhaps its because you were there to witness this decision. In any case, I thank you.
Yes. Our friendship is dearly treasured by me too. For our future interactions, and I pray that they will be many, I only dare ask for your pardon and gentle rebuke in times when I fail as a friend, and your company and love in this journey always.
Your brother in Christ Jesus,
Sze Peng Dennis Matthew Ong
No comments:
Post a Comment