Saturday, November 5, 2011

That still small voice...

They will never follow a stranger, but will run away from him because they do not recognise the voice of strangers.
John 10:5
The uncertainties of life are gnawing at me.

Have I chosen the correct thesis topic and supervisor? What am I going to do upon graduation? Am I going to start working or should I go on to graduate school? If I am to start working, what should I do? What should I be? Did I make the right decision about Catholicism? Is distancing myself from the Boys' Brigade ministry the correct thing to do? Am I contributing to the growth of my family? Am I a good son? Am I a good brother? Have I been a good friend? Is the married life for me?

Structure is good. I like structure in life. Structure has been imposed on me from childhood. No, I wouldn't say imposed. Perhaps suggested is a better choice of word.
Go to a junior college. It's the safe path. Come for parades on Saturdays. Go to church on Sundays. Go complete your national service. It's a Singaporean way of life. Go to the university and get yourself a degree...
Structure is good. But I need to make my own structures now. I need to define my guiding principles in life. What do I want out of this life given to me? What are my priorities? Who are my priorities? What do I want to achieve in life? Have I found a passion that defines me, that keeps me awake in the middle of the night, that makes me feel alive? What do You, O God, want for me in life?

Oh I need to hear that still small voice. I need it bad.

No comments: