A new year has dawned upon us. Like Janus, the two-faced Roman god of transitions, I spent some time pondering about the year that has gone by, and the year that is to come.
2011 has been a good year. A year of transitions, but a good year nonetheless. Many thanks to God for the many graces. My family's been safe and in good health, although I have much more to learn when it comes to loving them. They seem much more pleasant from a distance, more accommodating from afar. But alas, family's family. God, in His wisdom, did not allow me to choose them.
Last year began with returning from The Netherlands. Coming to terms with the fact that I'm no longer on exchange wasn't easy. But this experience has taught me that attempting to grasp memories of the past pale in comparison to being adventurous and making new ones. Also, moving to the Catholic Church was done with much ambivalence on my part, and many questions from my loved ones and concerned friends.
But 2011 was also a year of finding love in unexpected places.
From my family's putting up with my little quirks, to Minghoeking and Yueru's coming to knowledge and embracing of a less than Christian aspect of me.
From catching Lip Tat, Rong Sheng and Yan Han on campus, to my making of new friends in Ruth, Wei Shan and Min Chieh.
From meeting up with old college mates like Wei Chong, Patsy and Sarah, to my renewed friendship with my old college tutor Arthur.
From the late night suppers with Calvin, to the new friends I made at Eugene's birthday party.
From my continued friendship with Sean, Tjun Tjeng, and Renaldo, to the officers' occasionally blunt, hurtful, but needed comments, and their continued invitation to our group gatherings.
From Jerome's attendance at my completion of RCIA, to our dinners with Xiaoying, and to the new friends I made at the MMMonday CG.
From Henry's and Chris' hosting me at their places, to the unexpected hugs and kisses Bosco threw at me when he learnt that I was leaving Hong Kong.
And so, it is with a grateful heart warmed by the knowledge that I am very loved that I'm taking on the new year. I look forward to my final lap as an undergraduate student, and the transition into the working world with much hope and optimism. God help me.
No comments:
Post a Comment